So we all grew up loving Tater Tots, right? Very addicting, however not very healthy. But here at Semi~Sweet Diabetes, we still like to enjoy the good things in life by putting our own healthy spin on forbidden foods. That’s why this recipe will knock your socks off! Your taste buds will be in heaven and the best part is there’s no guilt in eating more than one. These Broccoli Tots are so tasty and so good for you, making them a crowd favorite at any party. You will not be able to have just one, I promise! This is a great and healthy alternative to French Fries or Tater Tots. Husband approved!
- 12 ounces broccoli, cut into small florets
- 2 large garlic cloves finely diced
- ⅔ cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ⅔ cup of gluten free bread crumbs (I recommend gluten free over regular breadcrumbs because the consistency is much better. So even if you’re not gluten free, I would try it.)
- Salt & pepper
- Side Sauce (optional, but highly recommended): 3 tablespoons of ketchup, 2 teaspoons of spicy mustard, 2 teaspoons of Sriracha
- Fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Put broccoli into boiling water for about 4-5 minutes or until tender.
- Drain broccoli and finely chop.
- Once finely chopped, put broccoli into bowl with cheddar cheese, garlic, eggs, bread crumbs and salt & pepper, and mix everything together.
- I recommend putting the broccoli mix into a Tupperware to chill overnight. This makes it much easier to shape and form squares, but if you want to serve sooner then chill the mix in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Once chilled, form small Tater Tot squares on a greased pan. (Don’t make the squares too big, think bite-sized.) Then put in the oven for about 20-22 minutes. Once they are cooked take out of oven and let them cool for 5-10 minutes. Then Enjoy!
Bonus sauce: Tater Tots would be absolutely lost without ketchup, and same with Broccoli Tots! Mix 3 tablespoons of Ketchup with 2 teaspoons of Spicy Mustard and 1 teaspoon of Sriracha Sauce for your own unique ketchup sauce with a little kick to it!